Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Hw - 57 Parenting 101

So what makes a good parent? A huge criteria that is ever so judged with everyones own opinion of what "good" exactly is. The similarities that you find in parenting can all relate but how these methods are carried out could be completely different. For example, punishing your child. Parents do it all the time, but there are variety of ways parents punish their own child. So who is it that makes up the rule that they have the best child punishment method? They all do, but how we interpret another method we may see it as wrong. That goes for a lot of things because what we may do personally, and someone does the same exact thing, but differently, we see it as wrong.

Parenting is a tough job, from my own experience, I think I give my parents a hard time, because of the 24/7 nurturing they have to attend to. For my parents I think learning from multiple perspectives have helped them create methods of their own acknowledging the pros and cons of other methods other parents have used. It is sort of like how we dress ourselves. You have friends that dress a certain way, and then the public, so you pick apart what you like from each group and you make it your own combining the styles. I mean why not accept the multiple perspectives, there only there to either be declined or a venue that you a choose and pick things out of. But does this make for good parenting then? How do you know if the type of perspectives you've chosen were "good" ones then? This goes into the complexity of how each individual is different from another. This is why the criteria for being a "good parent" is so opinion based because each individual sees something different, and as we may see something foreign/different, we match it with it being wrong.

Personally, I believe my parents have done a great job at raising me. How would I see it any way different? I would actually past judge on how I would see it different, and by judging it, I would associate it with it being wrong. The only fault I see in how I was parented that probably when I get old enough to have my own kids, that a lot of my teaching will resemble my parents methods because that was how I saw it 24/7. Even if I consciously believed that I would not raise my kid the same way my parents did me, How else would I raise my child then? Naturally? What is naturally? My own criteria of the rights and wrongs in life? Sure, but then wouldn't that be much of my parents criteria of how they taught me their rights and wrongs? I'm not saying that when we get older of course that we are going to be exactly like our parents, we have our judgement now, but it is the fact that a lot of the things we'll do, may resemble what our parents did for us. So, What makes good parenting then?

When Parenting Theories Backfire
In this article, it demonstrated how the theory of giving your child choice deciding opportunities could backfire on you. I'm not a parent, but it seems from this perspective of this parent that letting your child makes his/her own decision could result in the denial of your owns parents wishes. By letting the child make decisions between one or the another, the child realized that he/she now had the power to start making his/her owns demand.

Diana Baumrind's (1966) Prototypical Descriptions of 3 Parenting Styles
In this article it described the styles of permissive, authoritarian and authoritative parenting which any child could be a subject to. Each style resulted in pro and cons which from what I understand shows that their is not one good parenting method. One Style of that really stuck out to me was the authoritative style because of how I could see the child being structured properly in a dominant culture. If I were a parent now, I personally would like to see my child succeed in this dominant culture, so the other styles seemed wrong if I were to follow it. Seeing as there a 3 styles of structuring plans to build how a child's emotions and feelings are controlled, it makes me wonder how else I could raise my children and are there other categories for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment