Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Hw - 58 Parenting 102

Part 3:
In our class, we were let in on primary experiences on what parenting is like. Our guest that came in to talk about her perspectives of parenting presented new and different perspectives of how she is raising her children. Melissa (our guest) talked about how their should be a reasonable control over your kids life so they could figure out the differences between the right's and wrong's of their own decisions.

I also asked my mom on what she felt about parenting. For example, did you see parenting as something that came naturally, or multiple perspectives that help raise her children. She began with how it felt naturally because her mother was not there most of the time, but made sure that her kids stayed healthy. She said the first thing that came naturally to her was her maternal instinct. The need to protect and ensure of safety of us, but it would be ignorant not to say that not knowing and acknowledging other people's perspectives on parenting would just make you a poor parent. Knowing and feeling about how you see how others choose to parent would be more wise because you would get the opportunity to pick and choose the methods you don't or do like. My mom also talked about how she does past judgement on her sisters methods of parenting, but only because she does not agree with how it being parented.
Part 4:

Throughout this unit I felt like I've been absorbing a lot of insights on how to be a parent, or how to be parented. Gathering insights from those who have experienced or experiencing being a parent has opened my mind to how differently each child is raised at home, and even though it may be different from how I was raised, I have come to realize that even if it is different, it is still not wrong, something our culture is strung up on. Our culture tends to past judgement on a lot of styles and methods of parenting because it is either different from their type of style(s) so they categorize it as wrong. Now it is not bad to past some judgement on some types of parenting because the result of the child may be negative. I've also come to realize that parenting may be the hardest job ever. A Parent must be consistent with their child and when the parent falls short of being with your child, the sense of security and safety is lost with the child's dependency. Being ill unprepared to hold such type of job sets difficulties for the parent and for the child because the child does not have anyone to depend, and for a child to be independent at such a young age is something they cannot handle by themselves.

I've also acknowledged the fact that other parenting perspectives can help guide you to become a better parent because what would be the point of going into parenting blind, making mistakes that other perspectives are there to warn you about. This is the point where I believe when or if I do become a parent that I will emulate a lot of the parenting methods used on me to carry out on the child I will have in the future. Even the things that I do not like like about how my parents have raised me with, I'll probably do it to my own kids subconsciously because it was something I was use to as a kid.


No comments:

Post a Comment